Harris Regional Hospital welcomes three nurse midwives and pediatrician and expands to Franklin
July 24, 2017
SYLVA/FRANKLIN – Harris Regional Hospital is pleased to announce the expansion of women’s and children’s care in western North Carolina with the addition of three certified nurse midwives and a pediatrician. The hospital has also established a full-time presence for obstetrics, gynecology, and pediatrics at Harris Regional Hospital Medical Park of Franklin located at 55 Holly Springs Park Drive.
The midwives have joined Harris Women’s Care, an obstetrics and gynecology practice with locations in Sylva, Franklin and Bryson City. Ryan Wade, MD will join the physicians of Harris Pediatric Care next month, seeing patients at the Sylva office and in the newly-expanded Franklin location.
- Sally Schaefer, certified nurse midwife, will join Harris Women’s Care August 1. Schaefer has cared for women and delivered babies in the region for decades. She completed her postgraduate training at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla.
- Rani Khan, certified nurse midwife, will join Harris Women’s Care August 14. Khan completed her postgraduate training at Emory University School of Nursing and most recently practice in Asheville, Qatar, and Africa.
- Judi Layton, certified nurse midwife, will join Harris Women’s Care September 11. Layton has practiced in the region since 2012. She completed her postgraduate training at the University of Pennsylvania.
Khan, Schaefer, and Layton will provide obstetrical care and routine women’s healthcare alongside Sabine Kelischek, MD, Megan Metcalf, MD, and Kathy Walsh, NP serving the Sylva, Bryson City, and Franklin locations.
Ryan Wade, MD will join Harris Pediatric Care August 14. Dr. Wade completed a residency in pediatrics at the University of Florida in Pensacola after receiving his medical degree from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.
Dr. Wade will practice alongside Charles Toledo, MD, Nicholas Jernigan, MD, and Joshua Alweiss, MD at Harris Pediatric Care serving the Sylva and Franklin locations. Brooke Budde, DO provides pediatric care at Swain Family Care in Bryson City.
“We are excited to expand women’s and children’s services in western North Carolina,” said Steve Heatherly, CEO of Harris Regional Hospital and Swain Community Hospital. “Our hospitals have a decades-long tradition of serving families with world-class women’s and children’s care. Our full-time presence in Macon County will provide an opportunity for us to demonstrate our commitment and world-class care to families in the Franklin area by exceeding their expectations with these outstanding physicians and nurse midwives.”
The New Generations Family Birthing Center at Harris Regional Hospital in Sylva will complete in November a $5.5 million renovation which will include updated rooms, nurses’ stations, cesarean section operating suite, and pediatric unit. The hospital provides International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and certified pediatric physical therapists specializing in infant care. Expectant parents are invited to participate in free child-birthing and breastfeeding classes. The hospital also offers a group for new mothers.
Harris Regional Hospital is privileged to provide care that is recognized on state and national levels:
- Designation as a 4-Star Breastfeeding Friendly facility by the North Carolina Maternity Center
- Recognition by the March of Dimes for reducing to less than one percent the number of elective inductions and cesarean deliveries performed before 39 weeks of pregnancy
- Staff caring for mothers and babies at the New Generations Family Birthing Center at Harris Regional Hospital were presented with the hospital’s Blue Ribbon Award for receiving the organization’s highest patient satisfaction scores during a recent measurement period
To learn more about Harris Regional Hospital, the New Generations Family Birthing Center or Harris Women’s Care, visit http://www.myharrisregional.com or call 828.586.7000.