Consider the Power Breastfeeding
- Early breast milk - Colostrum - is rich in protective nutrients.
- Mature breast milk has just the right amount of nutrients to help your baby grow.
- Breast milk is easier to digest than formula.
- Nutrients and hormones in breast milk protect babies from getting sick.
- Formula-fed babies have a higher risk of:
- Ear Infections
- Lower respiratory infections
- Type 2 diabetes
- Physical contact helps newborns feel more secure, warm and comforted
- Breastfeeding can simplify your life.
- No bottles & nipples to sterilize
- No formula to buy, measure and mix
- Breastfeeding can save money.
- Formula & feeding supplies can cost over $1500 per year.
- Health care costs can be reduced because breastfed babies are sick less often.
- Physical contact boosts oxytocin levels, a hormone that helps milk flow and can have a calming effect.
- Breastfeeding can decrease the mother's risk of:
- Type 2 diabetesBreast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Postpartum depression
- Nursing mothers miss fewer days from work because infants are sick less often.
Breast milk is a unique nutritional source that cannot adequately be replaced by any other food, including infant formula. Consider exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to benefit you and your baby.
Taught by our Board Certified Lactation Consultants, this class provides information about the importance of breastfeeding to babies and their families. Techniques for latch-on and positioning are demonstrated to help you get started. Combining breastfeeding with pumping and returning to work or school is also introduced. Expectant mothers should attend this class one to three months before their due date with fathers, grandparents and other support people.
Breastfeeding A-Z is a one-time class offered on Thursdays from 6 - 8:30 p.m. on the following dates:
To make an appointment with the Harris Regional Hospital Lactation Services, call 828.586.7907
Download Our Lactation Services Brochure (Printable PDF)
- Cancer Care
- Care Management
- Emergency Services
- General Surgery
- Harris Home Health
- Hospice Care
- New Generations Family Birthing Center
- Neck and Spine Services
- Nutrition Education
- Primary Care
- Rehab Services
- Sleep Medicine
- Spine Care
- Sports Medicine
- Urgent Care
- Women's Care
- Wound Care